Portland Cocktail Week Guide: Must-Hit Events and Participating Bars
As beer festival season draws to a close and the weather grows colder, Portlanders can take comfort in the fact that their bartenders are just warming up. For an entire week, from October 21–25, Portland will host bartenders from around the country as they learn even more ways to keep you warm until the sun returns.
Held for the third year in a row, Portland Cocktail Week will pick up where the Great American Distiller’s Festival leaves off by hosting panels, seminars, classes and, most importantly of all, parties. Although the majority of the week is designed specifically for bartenders, you can join the party at various events around town. Even if you don’t have time for a big night out, make sure to stop by any of the bars listed at the bottom of this article for an exclusive drink made just for Portland Cocktail Week 2012.
“On The Town” with Dale DeGroff presented by Pernod Ricard
Monday, October 22, 6 PM
Living Room Theaters
After tasting the best of American spirits over the weekend at the distiller’s festival, learn more about the history cocktails and liquor in the United States from renowned mixologist and author Dale DeGroff. From Benjamin Franklin’s famous love of beer to the bootleggers of folklore, DeGroff has all the tools he needs to a paint a vivid history of America’s tumultuous relationship with drinking. Don’t worry, with music from jazz guitarist Tracy Kim, cocktails and hors d’oeuvres, this is a party, not a lecture. $35 presale or $40 at the door benefits The Museum of the American Cocktail so these colorful stories can be preserved and shared.
Novo Fogo Bars on Fire
Monday, October 22, 5 PM-8 PM
Take a break from the hectic pace of Cocktail Week with three hours of Brazilian Zen. The founder of Novo Fogo cachaças, Dragos Axinte, and L.A. bartender Jaymee Mandeville invite you to get into the spirit of the week's celebration by ordering a caipirinha in a jar and shaking it yourself. If you'd rather just kick back, enjoy happy hour cocktail prices, soccer talk and, best of all, delicious cachaça.
House Spirits Distillery Pairing Dinner
Tuesday, October 23, 6 PM
The Country Cat Dinnerhouse & Bar
Come out to try a three-course dinner from Adam Sappington before he competes in this year’s Portland Iron Chef competition. House Spirits Distillery’s Christian Krogstad will be on hand to expertly pair drinks to accompany your meal. $45 includes dinner, drinks and gratuity so all you have to do is remember not eat too much at lunch and show up on time! Call ahead to book your place at 503-403-1414.
‘Merica! Red, White and Booze presented by the United States Bartenders Guild
Thursday, October 25, 8 PM–midnight
This is your chance to finally bridge the gap between you, the expert bar patron, and the experts behind the bars that you love! Join bartenders from all 34 chapters of the USBG as they raise money for the Oregon Bartenders Guild’s mission to elevate mixology around the world. $40 provides an entire night of food, drinks and entrance to the last party of Portland Cocktail Week 2012. Send off your new out of state drinking buddies with a bang! Tickets can be found online this week.
Want an exclusive Portland Cocktail Week 2012 special for just $7? Check out any of these bars between October 21–25.
- Aalto Lounge – 3356 SE Belmont St
- Acadia – 1303 NE Fremont St
- Bar Vivant – 2225 E Burnside St
- Beaker & Flask – 727 Southeast Washington St
- Biwa – 215 SE 9th Ave
- Central – 220 SW Ankeny St
- The Country Cat Dinnerhouse & Bar – 7937 SE Stark St
- EaT: An Oyster Bar – 3808 N. Williams Ste 122
- Grand Central Bowl – 808 SE Morrison St
- Gilt Club – 306 NW Broadway St
- Hale Pele – 2733 NE Broadway St
- Imperial – 410 SW Broadway St
- Irving St. Kitchen – 701 NW 13th Ave
- Kask – 1215 Southwest Alder St
- Laurelhurst Market – 3155 East Burnside St
- Nostrana – 1401 Southeast Morrison St
- The Original – 300 Southwest 6th Ave
- Ox – 2225 NE Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd
- The Parish – 231 NW 11th Ave
- Pix Patisserie – 3402 SE Division St
- Portland Pie Co. – 1520 SE 7th Ave
- Random Order Coffeehouse & Bakery – 1800 NE Alberta St
- Riffle NW – 333 NW 13th Ave
- Rum Club – 720 Southeast Sandy Blvd
- Serratto – 2112 NW Kearney St
- Tabla Mediterranean Bistro – 200 NE 28th Ave
- Whey Bar - 2225 NE Martin Luther King, Jr. Blvd.
- Xico – 3715 SE Division St
Event Date: 10/21,10/22,10/23,10/24,10/25
Event Time: All Day!
Where to Drink on Memorial Day Weekend in Portland
Memorial Day Drinks: 5 Fun and Easy Summer Pitcher Cocktails